877-775-4564 ext. 113
Mr. Noakes focuses his practice on litigation and dispute resolution. He has extensive experience representing a diverse cross-section of clients, including publicly traded and private companies, landlords and tenants (both commercial and residential), real estate investors, officers and directors of both public and private corporations, as well as trustees and beneficiaries in fiduciary disputes.
Prior to joining The Opus Law Firm, Mr. Noakes worked in San Diego as a litigation attorney at Dentons US LLP and its predecessor firms McKenna, Long & Aldridge, LLP and Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps, LLP. Before joining Dentons, Mr. Noakes was an extern for Justice Paul Turner at the California Court of Appeal.
Mr. Noakes served honorably in the U.S. Army as part of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, “The Old Guard” and was awarded the Army Commendation Medal and Army Achievement Medal for his service.
- Represented national telecommunications company in breach of contract action. Successfully defeated plaintiff’s claims and obtained judgment for client on counterclaim in the full amount being sought.
- Represented international charities in quiet title action and related aiding and abetting action to protect and secure payment to previously obtained multi-million dollar judgment.
- Represented international charities in litigation to void a trust that revoked an earlier trust naming the charities as the only beneficiaries of a multi-million dollar estate. Complete trial victory with a multi-million dollar judgment, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented prominent auto insurer and defeated class action lawsuit in California with a pleading challenge that was sustained, thereby eliminating exposure to liability of over $10 million.
- Represented bankruptcy trustee in quiet title action to marshal bankruptcy assets. Successfully marshalled real property worth over $7 million.
- Represented large private company in dispute with landlord related to lease negotiation tactics whereby landlord was attempting to force relocation during client’s busiest time of year. Successfully developed and implemented strategy to flip the leverage against the landlord.
- Represented several insurance companies in multiple litigation matters throughout the U.S. in both state and federal courts, including class action defense and single plaintiff matters.
- Represented global construction company as well as two sureties in breach of contract case that went to trial. Jury awarded client damages on the breach of contract claim. Successfully defended against California Prompt Payment claims and successfully obtained non-suit against one of the Sureties.
- Counseled local landlord to successfully resolve tenant habitability claims before lawsuit was filed.
- Represented a U.S. publicly held, China-based valve manufacturer in Nevada state court action by shareholders to appoint a receiver to control the company. Successfully blocked appointment of receiver which allowed company management to continue its operations.
- Represented large national banks in litigation involving complex commercial loan transactions. Obtained favorable settlement for clients.
- Represented seller of $17 million development project in litigation to defend against allegations of fraud, misrepresentation, and breach of contract. Successfully blocked injunction being sought and obtained early favorable settlement for client.
- Represented majority member of LLC owning multiple T-Mobile stores in Southern California in litigation against minority member corporation over ownership share and control of LLC. Obtained favorable settlement prior to trial.
- Represented trustee of $50 million private family organization in litigation to preserve client’s control of the corporation. Successfully obtained preliminary injunction preserving client’s control of corporation which prevented a hostile takeover. Later successfully obtained highly favorable settlement for client that included removal of those seeking hostile takeover from ever having management or decision-making authority in the corporation.
- Represented national bank in breach of fiduciary duty case where the bank was accused of mismanaging $40 million in assets. Defeated case at the pleading stage with motion to dismiss that was granted without leave to amend.
- Represented charity in arbitration proceeding against donation facilitator in case involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, violation of California’s Unfair Competition Laws (Business and Professions Code § 17200 et seq.), and negligence. Obtained favorable settlement after taking deposition of donation facilitator’s person most knowledgeable.
- Represented local business owner in pre-litigation dispute with landlord regarding who would pay for remediation work in common area parking lot with ADA violations that were inhibiting client from obtaining a certificate of occupancy and opening the store. Successfully convinced the landlord to pay for the remediation work.
- Assisted with internal investigation of executive officers of large San Diego healthcare organization for potential fraudulent and breach of duty activities.
- Assisted with multiple internal investigations at large national bank.